TUH Health Insurance
TUH health insurance is a restricted, member-owned, not-for-profit health fund. It was established in 1972 by the Queensland Teachers’ Union, to make sure that teachers in the state would have access to excellent health care.
The fund has since expanded to offer membership to a wider range of industries, including teaching, medicine, and fire-fighting. In fact, the eligibility requirements for TUH are simple. Membership is open to the following people (aged over 18):
- Current or former members of an Australian union
- Family members of a current or former member of an Australian union, or a TUH member.
Family members are defined as parents, partners, former partners, dependent children, adult children and their partners, grandchildren, sibling, and a sibling’s partner and dependent children.
Although TUH is a restricted membership fund, its generous eligibility criteria makes it accessible to many Australians.
- TUH is a not-for-profit, member-owned, restricted health fund for Australian union members; however, its flexible eligibility requirements make it accessible to many more Australians
- TUH was ranked first for trustworthiness, satisfaction, and advocacy in the 2017 Ipsos Healthcare & Insurance Australia survey.
- As of April 2019, TUH’s product range includes four hospital policies, five extras policies, and three levels of pre-packaged cover.
TUH has four levels of hospital cover, five levels of extra cover, and three levels of packaged cover. You can also mix and match your choice of hospital and extras cover.
TUH Hospital Cover
- Bronze+ Hospital: Covers the basics, like most medically necessary treatment in a private hospital. $500 or $750 excess per adult.
- Silver+ No Pregnancy Hospital: A more comprehensive hospital cover excluding pregnancy and birth services. $400 or $750 excess.
- Silver+ Family Hospital: Comprehensive hospital cover including pregnancy and birth services. $400 or $750 excess.
- Gold Hospital: This is the top level of hospital cover, with no excess.
TUH Extras Cover
- Basic Extras: No-frills extras cover including basic dental, optical, and physio.
- Mid Range Extras: Everyday extras including major dental, orthodontics, and a health management benefit
- Healthy Options (60%) Extras: Ideal for young singles and couples, provides 60% back on included extras up to your annual limit, and up to 60% back on health screenings.
- Family Extras: Ideal for families, with no annual limit on general and preventative dental, up to 80% back on health screenings.
- Comprehensive Extras: The top level of extras cover, with the highest level of benefits. Annual limits go up with years of membership, plus get a bonus to use on out-of-pocket expenses when you combine with Comprehensive extras with Gold hospital cover.
TUH Packaged Cover
- Bronze+ Young Choice: Budget hospital cover ($250 excess per adult) and basic extras.
- Gold Easy Choice: Comprehensive hospital cover and a comfortable range of extras, with a bonus of $75 (single) or $150 (family) to spend on out-of-pocket extras. $300 excess per adult.
- Gold Ultimate Choice: Top hospital cover and highest level of extras, with a bonus of $125 (single) or $250 (family) to spend on out-of-pocket extras. No excess.
The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman (PHIO) conducts an annual health fund review to show how the funds stack up against each other. Here’s how TUH health insurance fared.
- Hospital Related Charges Covered
Industry average: 91.06%
- Medicare Services with No Gaps
Industry average: 86.6%
- Medicare Services with No or Known Gap
Industry average: 94.88%
- General Treatment Covered
Industry average: 53.52%
TUH Health Insurance Performance
TUH Health Fund Share of PHIO Complaints
There are four ways to claim with TUH health insurance.
- Claim on the spot at extras providers who use HICAPS – simply swipe your membership card for an immediate claim.
- Log into your online member services account and submit your claim – no receipts necessary. However, you should hold on to your receipts for 12 months in case.
- Upload photos of your receipts and submit instantly through the TUH smartphone app for iOS 8.0 or Android OS 4.1.
- Download and complete the claim form, then return it via post or in person at the TUH Health Hub. Note that claims are not processed at the Health Hub and it can take up to two weeks for the funds to arrive in your bank account.
As a not-for-profit, TUH does not offer a traditional member rewards scheme; profits are instead re-invested into the members. In 2018, TUH paid out $157 million in member benefits, an increase of $8 million from the previous year.
TUH offers an Active Health Bonus on some extras policies, which can be used to cover some out-of-pocket costs for extras. Some policies may offer increased annual benefit limits for each year you hold the policy.
TUH also has a refer-a-friend bonus; refer a friend or family member and receive a $100 EFTPOS gift card when they join. Terms and conditions apply.
TUH members can access discounts for services offered by TUH partner providers:
- QBE Travel Insurance
- CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet
- Tender Loving Cuisine
- Pet insurance
- Cancer Council Queensland
- Heather Hill Pathways
TUH is involved in a number of community support projects, and partners with organisations such as Beyond Blue and the ‘Adopt an Aussie’ program.
As part of its community outreach projects, TUH has previously run a ‘Big Thank You’ Giveaway, where 5 x $1,000 Education Resource Bursaries were given away to schools and early childhood centres. They also gave away 100 x $50 gift cards to individual members.
The TUH Health Hub is located at 438 St Pauls Tce, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006.
Its hours are as follows:
- Monday through Wednesday, Friday: 7:30am to 5:30pm
- Thursday: 7:30am to 6:30pm
- Holiday hours may vary
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone 1300 709 076 to make an appointment; the call centre is open:
- Monday to Thursday 8am to 6pm AEST
- Friday 8am to 5pm AEST
- Closed public holidays and from 4pm Christmas Eve
Additional contact information:
- TUH Health Fund email: email@example.com
- Postal address: PO Box 265, Fortitude Valley, QLD, 4006
- Fax: (07) 3252 3239