Medibank Private is a leading private health insurer in Australia, with over 40 years of experience and 3.7 million customers across its Medibank and ahm brands. In addition to health insurance, Medibank also offers life, travel, and pet insurance.
Medibank’s focus is on improving Australian lives by promoting better health, through supporting community funds including an investment of $4 million to tackle childhood obesity and funding indigenous programs.
- Medibank Private is one of Australia’s leading health insurers. Along with its brand ahm, Medibank services 3.7 million Australians.
- Medibank Private offers singles, couples, families and single parents private health cover.
- One of the largest health provider networks in Australia – with access to more than 470 Members’ Choice hospitals and more than 17,000 Members’ Choice extras provider locations.
Medibank Private offers extensive levels of hospital cover, extras cover, and tailored packages. The fund has negotiated with hospital and extras providers to create the Members’ Choice network, which provides discounted services to eligible members.
All family hospital cover includes no excess for kids, though waiting periods do apply.
- Accident cover boost: If you have an accident, you’ll be eligible for Gold level hospital benefits, regardless of your level of cover, thanks to Medibank’s Accidental Injury Benefit. Ts&Cs apply.
- Unlimited Emergency Ambulance: Available regardless of the policy you select, Medibank offers unlimited emergency ambulance.Ts&Cs apply.
- No hospital excess for children: Available on all family covers. Ts&Cs apply.
- 24/7 nurse phone service: Medibank Nurse service for round-the-clock health advice. Ts&Cs apply.
All Medibank Extras cover includes 100% back on optical items at all recognised providers up to your annual limit, as well as 100% back on two dental check-ups at a Members’ Choice Advantage dentist. Ts&Cs apply.
- Unlimited Emergency Ambulance: Available regardless of what hospital or extras policy you choose.
- 100% back on extras for kids: Available on Silver Plus Families & Growing Family covers at Member’s Choice Providers. Ts&Cs apply.
Medibank has designed a number of packages tailored to different life stages. You also have the option of customising a package by combining selected hospital and extras policies.
The life stages for pre-existing packages are:
- Singles cover
- Couples cover
- Families cover
- Single parents cover
- Overseas health cover
- Corporate cover
According to the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman (PIHO), here’s how Medibank stacks up against other funds in the industry.
- Hospital Related Charges Covered Medibank is slightly below industry average
- Medical Services with No Gaps Medibank is slightly below industry average
- Medical Services with No or Known Gaps Medibank is above industry average
- General Treatment (Extras) Covered Medibank is above industry average
*As of April, 2018
Medibank Private compared to Industry
Share of Private Health Insurance Ombudsman complaints
Reference: http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/publications/state-of-the-health-funds-report (2017 State of the Health Funds Report)
Medibank makes it easy and convenient to make a claim by offering a range of options to its members.
- On the Spot
The simplest way to claim is by asking your health care provider if they can process your claim in person by swiping your membership card.
Log in to My Medibank to claim for extras like acupuncture, orthodontics, or remedial massage. Benefits can be paid into your bank account or by cheque.
- Medibank Mobile App
Install the app onto your smartphone and follow the instructions under ‘Make a Claim’. Benefits can be paid into your bank account or by cheque.
- Via Post
For services that cannot be submitted online, like ambulance services or hospital accommodation, download the claims form from the Medibank website and submit it via post.
Medibank Private offers a generous rewards scheme with discounts on a range of health-related services and products. Members can also find resources on the fund’s website with tips and information on how to live a healthy lifestyle.
Special member offers include:
- Use the Medibank Live Better App to track everyday healthy actions and earn Live Better Points
- Discounts on Medibank travel, pet, and life insurance
- 15% off selected sunnies at Sunglass Hut
- 25% off selected TomTom sports products
- 20% off Michelle Bridges 12WBT
- Member discount on Thursdays at Palace Cinemas
- Discounts to employees of companies enrolled in the corporate health cover program
- Address: GPO Box 9999, Melbourne VIC 3001
- Phone for new members: 134 190
- Phone for existing members: 132 331
- Website: https://medibank.com.au
- Twitter: @medibank