Originally known as Newcastle Industrial Benefits (nib) Hospital Fund, nib was set up in 1952 by workers at BHP Steelworks in Mayfield. They now provide health insurance to over 1 million people in Australia and New Zealand, and also offer cover for skilled migrant workers and overseas students. As well as health insurance, nib also provide life and travel insurance.
- Accidental injury cover – seek hospital treatment within 24 hours and receive nib’s best hospital benefits for the next 90 days
- Emergency ambulance – no annual limits on emergency and medically necessary ambulance transportation anywhere in Australia (excludes QLD and TAS state ambulance services)
- No Excess for kids – you won’t need to pay the excess for dependent children under 21 if they need to go to Hospital
- Depending on your level of Extras cover you can get between 60 or 75 per cent of the cost back when you claim, up to your annual limit
nib offer hospital, extras and combination packages aimed at particular situations.
There are several tiers of hospital cover:
Basic Hospital – Their basic policy which covers for accidents, some specific hospital services as well as emergency ambulance. This is a great choice as your first health cover or families on a budget.
Standard Hospital – nib’s great value cover that includes their most commonly claimed services. This policy will exclude some hospital procedures that you’re less likely to need, and is ideal if you’re healthy and not planning on having kids.
Advantage Hospital – An extensive coverage policy without pregnancy or fertility related services – a great option for completed families or over 55’s.
Top Hospital – A comprehensive policy that covers all Medicare recognised hospital procedures. This is ideal if you are planning a family or want the best nib cover.
There are two main options for Extras cover:
Core Extras – the extras that people use the most, like dental, optical, physio, etc.
Core Extras Plus – The same cover as Core Extras with higher annual limits.
If you’re looking for more, you can add:
- Family Extras: the Extras your family needs as they grow
- Wellbeing Extras: the Extras services needed to look after your overall health and wellbeing
- Young at Heart Extras: the Extras servuces you may need as you grow older
Source: PHIO, accurate as of 2014.
Claims can be made online via the members section of nib’s website. Members can also take a photo of their Hospital or Extras receipts using a smartphone and submitting them to nib.
Alternatively, claim forms can be downloaded from the nib website, completed and sent to nib’s Claims Processing in Newcastle (free of charge – no stamp needed) or dropped in at an nib Retail Centre.
22 Honeysuckle Drive
Phone: 13 16 42
nib Dental Centres – http://nibdental.com.au/
*This product information is intended as a summary only and should be read in conjunction with the nib Policy Booklet.