Private Health Funds: Medibank Private
Medibank Private were set up in 1976. They became Australia’s largest private health insurer just a few years later in 1981 and have retained this position ever since. Over 3 million Australians are members of Medibank. As well as health insurance, they also offer life, travel and pet insurance products.
- The Members Choice network is one of the largest health provider networks in Australia and covers the majority of private hospitals and over 12,000 providers.
- Medibank Private pride themselves on being 100 per cent Australian.
- They have one of the largest optical networks in Australia and are partnered with OPSM, Specsavers and VSP Neighbourhood Eye Care. Members get 100 per cent back on frames, contacts and prescription glasses (up to their annual limit)
- The Medibank Nurse 24/7 service offers advice on health topics.
- Medibank have been awarded CANSTAR Outstanding Value from 2008 to 2015
- There are no annual limits on general dental for most types of extras cover, plus 100 per cent off some common dental treatments.
- Members get a certain amount back on extras depending on their cover level.
- Members with Medibank health insurance get 10 per cent off pet, travel and life insurance if they also hold one of these products with Medibank.
- Health management programs include osteoarthritis management, quitting smoking and healthy weight loss support.
Medibank Private offer hospital-only, extras-only and combination cover.
Accident cover is ideal for members that are looking for very basic hospital cover.
Basic Hospital includes colonoscopies, shoulder and knee reconstructions and palliative care. It restricts palliative care and rehab and psychiatric services, and excludes heart-related services, obstetrics and fertility services, joint replacements, dialysis and eye surgery. There is no excess for kids on family policies.
Standard Hospital still restricts psychiatric services (and obstetrics services) but does include rehab and heart-related services, joint replacement surgery (excluding hip and knee replacements) and plastic & reconstructive surgery.
Top Hospital Essentials includes major eye surgery, hip and knee replacements and dialysis.
Top Hospital is the broadest option and includes obstetrics, fertility services and weight loss surgery.
Basic Extras offers 55 or 70 cent back on popular extras and includes general dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteopathy, remedial massage and natural therapies.
Top Extras offers 55, 70 or 85 per cent back and also includes major dental, orthodontics, non-PBS prescriptions, podiatry, dietetics, occupational therapy, hearing aids, clinical psychology, eye therapy, speech therapy and blood glucose and blood pressure monitors.
Hospital-only and extras-only cover can be combined together. Medibank Private also offer a number of combination packages aimed at certain demographics.
The Everyday Starter package offers basic ambulance and accident hospital cover, plus 60 per cent back on popular extras such as general dental, ambulance, remedial massage, physio, chiro & osteo, natural therapies and dietetics.
The Everyday Essentials package is similar but also covers shoulder and knee reconstructions, tonsils and adenoids removal and appendix removal. It also includes a broader range of extras such as major dental and optical. Members get 60 per cent back on extras, plus 100 per cent back on yearly checkups at Members Choice dentists
The Everyday Comprehensive package offers a slightly more comprehensive level of hospital cover such as colonoscopies, heart related medical and surgical admissions and plastic and reconstructive surgery, plus 70 per cent back on a wide range of extras and 100 per cent back on optical and yearly dental checkups at Member First dentists.
The Settled Families Essentials package is the broadest combination of hospital and extras package and offers 55 per cent back on extras.
Claims can be made via Online Member Services in many cases, although not every claim can be made this way. Ambulance, natural therapies and hospital accommodation claims need to be made by downloading the relevant form from the Medibank website and sending it directly to them. Most extras claims can be made via the mobile app, as well as online.
Medibank are partnered with flybuys and members can be rewarded for making better health choices.
As the country’s biggest private health insurer, Medibank Private has lots of stores throughout Australia. Some of these locations include:
- WA – Albany, Booragoon, Joondalup, Mandurah, Midland, Perth, Rockingham
- NT – Casuarina
- SA – Adelaide, Mt Gambier, Modbury, West Lakes
- QLD – Brisbane, Cairns, Ipswich, Mackay, Gladstone, North Lakes, Broadbeach, Rockhampton, Townsville
- NSW – Albury, Bankstown, Blacktown, Bondi Junction, Campbelltown, Charlestown, Coffs Harbour, Sydney, Penrith, Parramatta
- ACT – Canberra City, Belconnen and Phillip
- VIC – Wendouree, Bendigo, Box Hill, Broadmeadows, Camberwell, Chadstone, Doncaster, Ringwood, Geelong, Melbourne
- TAS – Hobart and Launceston
GPO Box 9999
Phone: 134 190